Undergraduate Research Checklist
Do you want to engage in undergraduate research? Use this handy checklist to help yourself prepare.
- Attend a URC information session, offered quarterly.
- Take a First Year Seminar for a first taste of research.
- Attend the Undergraduate Research Conference. Bonus points for volunteering!
- Sign up for the listserv to be notified of events and opportunities (be sure to add your name to the subject line).
- What are you excited about? Start searching the web to find out what is happening in this area. Are there news stories about flashy new discoveries?
- Use a library database to find recent publications in the field.
- Once you have narrowed a field of interest, check out UC Davis faculty websites to see whose work may be a good fit for you.
- Contact faculty you have identified. Write a nice letter (see AskDrA.blogspot.com) or catch them at office hours. E-mail the professor to ask if you can set up an appointment to see them in person or talk by phone.
- Download the Mentor-Scholar agreement and complete this with your mentor.
- Apply for 199 research credit, research funding, and awards.
- Get safety training for lab research.
- Go talk to faculty! Apply for opportunities! BE PERSEVERANT! BE BRAVE!